Spring was in the air today which seemed to inspire everyone to get going with their painting projects.
We welcomed Marie and Carol for the first time and were pleased to see that they were enjoying the experience. After trying out fabric dyeing they settled down with Hillary to experiment with the markel sticks
We also welcomed another new recruit – our youngest ever – 2 year old Lydia is an artist in the making!
Salinder was busy colouring fabric ready to create a landscape and also created a wonderful image with a stencil
Corinne created a beautiful image that she plans to turn into a picture for a newly decorated bedroom
Glynis beavered away in the corner and produced a wonderful fish designed fabric
Chris used transfer art paints to create a lobster which we suspect will feature in her new holiday home.
Isobelle showed a book that she had created after following a Linda Kemshall tutorial
Jan produced a beautiful delicate elephant print
Fiona brought some pieces of work that she had machine embroidered – which were delightful.
And she painted a new piece that no doubt wll be worked on further
Monica brought along a border that she had machined embroidered onto hand dyed fabric.
She also showed a book cover that she had made by upcycling an antimacasser which had been hand dyed with procion dyes and embroidered with daffodils – very apt for St David’s Day yesterday!
Monica was also focused on painting pineapples. She used the Scan and Cut machine to make a stencil and then used markel sticks to transfer the image onto fabric
As ever a very productive day – well done everyone!
The Dyeing to Paint group met today with various ideas of what they might do and a flurry of activity with fabric dyes and print blocks produced some wonderful pieces of work.
There was quite a bit of printing with Indian print blocks and considerable interest in a new brick wall stencil…
Jan was very pleased with her new print blocks that she had bought from Colouriscious
And Kira used one of them to make a beautiful piece of fabric
Kira also found the time to get going on her Wendy Dolan style textured landscape
The chance to dye fabric was also popular. Ann was busy dyeing fabric to sell for charity
Whilst others were busy experimenting with sun dyeing
with some successful results
With a focus beyond paint Hilary was absorbed in creating fabric book covers – which looked very nice indeed!
And there was plenty of time to enjoy lunch in the sunshine!
Well done folks -looking forward to next month already.
The plan for Dyeing to Paint members today was to do sun dye some fabric. But, the miserable weather changed everyone’s plans.
Liz experimented with plastic lace table cloth, inktense blocks and markel stiks
Keris wrapped her fabric around a cardboard tube to see what effect she could achieve.
Chris played around with stencils, inktense blocks and markel stiks and was pleased with the effect
And, Monica recoloured a piece of fabric that she had been unhappy with first time around
By the end of the day there were some interesting examples of sun dyeing achieved with a stencil…..
and, again a stencil…
After a good amount of experimenting everything got packed up ready for Ann’s demonstration of burning felt and voiles with a soldering iron. And, it wasn’t long before everyone was hooked!
Monica made a little sample – just big enough to fit on a card
And, Ann showed some examples of ones she had made earlier….
Definitely something to aspire to. And, there was plenty of enthusiasm to go off and buy soldering irons and materials to get stuck in!
And, just as it was time to go home the sun decided to show its face-happy days….
Today at Dyeing to Paint we were engrossed in experimenting with salt on painted fabric and trying out Thermofax screens to print.
Keris and Corinne joined us to have a go and produced some lovely effects with painted fabrics. This one was achieved by sprinkling salt on the wet painted fabric.
Hilary was experimenting with paint on wool fabric, and produced a very colourful piece of cloth.
Monica used her Thermofax screen to print the Welsh National Anthem on green fabric ready for a landscape that she intends to create – one day!
And Keris and Corinne also had a go.
And, as well as painting some fabric Ann bundled up some of her painted fabrics ready for Saturday’s stash sale at Glamorgan Quilters!
On Thursday 8 January the Dyeing to Paint group met for the first time after enjoyng the Christmas and New Year break. We got off to a slow start – perhaps due to too much partying? But, it was good to catch up and chat about children, grandchildren and weddings.
Once we got going there was great enthusiasm to use coloured tissue paper to see what wonderful effects could be achieved – many thanks to Ann for supplying the tissue.
We also had a go at using to soya wax….
And, whilst all this was going on Fiona was quietly beavering away in the background unpicking a cushion cover!
At the last Dyeing to Paint meeting before Christmas Hilary screen printed bikes onto fabric and then used them to make cushions which look wonderful. I bet the people who received them in their Christmas stockings were delighted.
Chris Dobson has sent a photo of a cushion that she has recently completed which is awesome! She painted the elephant at one of her very first Dyeing to Paint days – using Transfer Art Paimts. And, before she made it into this lovely cushion she did a bit of free machine embroidery on it.
It is certainly something to be proud of!